Cisco Borderless Networks and Access Switching
Borderless Networks, a Cisco next-generation architecture, deliver the new workspace experience, connecting anyone, anywhere, using any device, to any resource - securely, reliably, transparently. The Cisco Borderless Networks architecture addresses primary IT and business challenges to help create a truly borderless experience by bringing interactions closer to the employee and customer. Innovations in switching help organizations deliver ease of operation, green efficiency, security, and performance to accelerate the way IT delivers and scales those services on the network. Figure 2 depicts the Cisco Borderless Network benefits.
Cisco Borderless Networks Primary Capabilities
- Sustainability: PoE pass-through to provide PoE to downlink ports using PoE or PoE+ switches in the wiring closet; Cisco EnergyWise to measure, report, and reduce energy usage across the entire organization;
- Operational excellence: Cisco Catalyst Smart Operations;
- Secure business: Intelligent features at the network edge for sophisticated access control lists (ACLs) and identity services with a wide range of authentication methods, data encryption, and Network Admission Control (NAC)-based technology;
- Workspace experience: Network control and bandwidth optimization for granular rate limiting, ACLs, and multicast video services.
Advanced, Intelligent Network Management Tools
The Cisco Catalyst 3560-C and 2960-C Series Compact Switches offer both the traditional Cisco CLI for detailed configuration and Cisco Network Assistant software, a PC-based tool for quick configuration based on preset templates. In addition, CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS) supports the Cisco Catalyst 3560-C and 2960-C Series Compact Switches for networkwide management.
CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution
CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution (LMS) is a comprehensive network lifecycle management solution. It provides an extensive library of easy-to-use features to automate the initial and day-to-day management of your Cisco network infrastructure. CiscoWorks LMS uniquely uses Cisco hardware and software platform knowledge and operational experience into a powerful set of workflow-driven configuration, monitoring, troubleshooting, reporting, and administrative tools. Including:
- Support for new Cisco hardware platforms the day they ship;
- Support for new technologies and services from initial deployment to day-to-day administration and management, such as EnergyWise, Identity, Cisco Auto Smartports, Cisco Smart Install, and much more;
- Configuration management tools built from Cisco experience and Cisco Validated Design recommendations;
- Monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities that incorporates Cisco hardware best practices and diagnostics features;
- Automation in managing hardware inventories, security vulnerabilities (PSIRTS), and platform end-of-life and support cycles.