Aruba 220 Series Access Points
Setting the highest standard for enterprise Wi-Fi
For the highest-performance Wi-Fi environments, the 220 series accommodates 802.11n and 802.11ac clients, supports the highest device-densities and maximizes Wi-Fi coverage.
With a maximum data rate of 1.3 Gbps in the 5-GHz band and 600 Mbps in the 2.4-GHz band, 220 series APs are up to three-times faster than 802.11n APs and provide performance similar to a wired connection.
The 220 series APs include ClientMatch™ technology, which eliminates sticky clients by continuously gathering session performance metrics from mobile devices.
If a mobile device moves out of range of an AP or RF interference impedes performance, ClientMatch automatically steers it to a better AP. An 802.11ac network without ClientMatch performs no different than an 802.11n WLAN.
Choose your operating mode
The 220 series APs offer a choice of operating modes to meet your unique management and deployment requirements.
- Controller-managed AP or Remote AP (RAP) running ArubaOS™. When managed by Aruba Mobility Controllers, 220 series APs offer centralized configuration, data encryption, policy enforcement and network services, as well as distributed and centralized traffic forwarding. Please refer to the Aruba Mobility Controller data sheets for more details.
- Aruba Instant™ AP running InstantOS™. In Aruba Instant mode, a single AP automatically distributes the network configuration to other Instant APs in the WLAN. Simply power-up one Instant AP, configure it over the air, and plug in the other APs – the entire process takes about five minutes.
For large installations across multiple sites, the Aruba Activate™ service significantly reduces deployment time by automating device provisioning, firmware upgrades, and inventory management. With Aruba Activate, Instant APs are factory-shipped to any site and configure themselves when powered up.
If WLAN and network requirements change, a built-in migration path allows 220 series Instant APs to become part of a WLAN that is centrally managed by a Mobility Controller.
- 802.11n devices perform up to 3 times better
Compared to 802.11n Access Points, the AP-200 series delivers much higher speeds and throughput for the same 802.11n devices
- Uncompromised 802.11ac support with low power 802.3af PoE
Adapts to available 802.3af power-over-Ethernet (PoE) instead of requiring customers to upgrade to 802.3at PoE+.
- 600 Mbps in the 2.4-GHz band
Supports up to 600 Mbps for TurboQAM-enabled mobile devices operating in the 2.4-GHz band - an industry first.
AP-220 series specifications
- AP-225 and IAP-225
- 2.4-GHz (600 Mbps max) and 5-GHz (1.3 Gbps max) radios, each with 3×3 MIMO and three integrated omni-directional downtilt antennas
- AP-224 and IAP-224
- 2.4-GHz (600 Mbps max) and 5-GHz (1.3 Gbps max) radios, each with 3×3 MIMO and three combined, diplexed external antenna connectors
Wireless radio specifications
- AP type: Indoor, dual radio, 5 GHz 802.11ac and 2.4 GHz 802.11n
- In addition to 802.11n data rates, the 2.4-GHz radio supports 802.11ac data rates using 256-QAM modulation. This gives TurboQAM-enabled clients a 33% boost above the maximum supported data rate.
- Software-configurable dual radio supports 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz
- 3×3 MIMO with three spatial streams and up to 1.3 Gbps wireless data rate
- Supported frequency band (country-specific restrictions apply):
2.4000 GHz to 2.4835 GHz
5.150 to 5.250 GHz
5.250 to 5.350 GHz
5.470 to 5.725 GHz
5.725 to 5.850 GHz
- Available channels: Dependent upon configured regulatory domain
- Dynamic frequency selection (DFS) optimizes the use of available RF spectrum
- Supported radio technologies:
- 802.11b: Direct-sequence spread-spectrum (DSSS)
- 802.11a/g/n/ac: Orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (OFDM)
- 802.11n/ac: 3×3 MIMO with up to three spatial streams
- Supported modulation types:
- 802.11b: BPSK, QPSK, CCK
- 802.11a/g/n: BPSK, QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM
- 802.11ac: BPSK, QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM, 256-QAM
- Transmit power: Configurable in increments of 0.5 dBm
- Maximum (aggregate, conducted total) transmit power (limited by local regulatory requirements):
- 2.4-GHz band: +23 dBm
- 5-GHz bands: +23 dBm
- Advanced cellular coexistence (ACC) feature to effectively deal with interference from cellular systems
- Maximum ratio combining (MRC) for improved receiver performance
- Cyclic delay diversity (CDD) for improved downlink RF performance
- Short guard interval for 20-MHz, 40-MHz and 80-MHz channels
- Space-time block coding (STBC) for increased range and improved reception
- Low-density parity check (LDPC) for high-efficiency error correction and increased throughput
- Transmit beam-forming (TxBF) for increased reliability in signal delivery
- Supported data rates (Mbps):
- 802.11b: 1, 2, 5.5, 11
- 802.11a/g: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54
- 802.11n: 6.5 to 450 (MCS0 to MCS23)
- 802.11ac: 6.5 to 1,300 (MCS0 to MCS9, NSS = 1 to 3)
- 802.11n high-throughput (HT) support: HT 20/40
- 802.11ac very high throughput (VHT) support: VHT 20/40/80
- 802.11n/ac packet aggregation: A-MPDU, A-MSDU
- Maximum power consumption: 15 watts, plus up to 2.5 watts for attached USB device.
- Power sources sold separately
- Direct DC source: 12 Vdc nominal, +/- 5%
- Power over Ethernet (PoE): 48 Vdc (nominal) 802.3af or 802.3at-compliant source
- Efficient mode PoE – power save with 802.3af PoE and limited functionality on 2.4GHz
- USB port disabled
- Second Ethernet port disabled
- 2.4-GHz 802.11n radio in 1×3:1SS mode
- Unrestricted functionality with 802.3at PoE+
- AP-224: Three RP-SMA connectors for external dual-band antennas
- AP-225: Six integrated down-tilt omni-directional antennas for 3×3 MIMO with maximum antenna gain of 3.5 dBi in 2.4 GHz and 4.5 dBi in 5 GHz. Built-in antennas are optimized for horizontal ceiling mounted orientation of AP-225.
- Two 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet network interfaces (RJ-45)
- Auto-sensing link speed and MDI/MDX
- PoE-PD: 48 Vdc 802.3af PoE or 802.3at PoE+
- DC power interface, accepts 1.7/4.0mm center-positive circular plug with 9.5 mm length
- USB 2.0 port (Type A connector)
- Serial console interface (RJ-45, TTL levels)
- Visual indicators (LEDs):
- Power/system status
- Ethernet link status (2x; ENET0, ENET1)
- Radio status (2x; RAD0, RAD1)
- Kensington security slot
- Reset button
- Included with AP:
- Mounting brackets (2) for attaching to 9/16-inch or 15/16-inch T-bar drop-tile ceiling
- Optional mounting kits:
- AP-220-MNT-C2: Aruba 220 series AP mount kit contains two ceiling-grid rail adapters for Interlude and Silhouette style rails.
- AP-220-MNT-W1: Aruba 220 series AP mount kit contains one flat-surface wall/ceiling mount bracket.
- AP-220-MNT-W2: Aruba 220 series AP mount kit contains one flat-surface wall/ceiling secure mount cradle
- Dimensions/weight (unit, excluding mount accessories):
- 203 mm (W) x 203 mm (D) x 54 mm (H), 8.0” (W) x 8.0” (D) x 2.1” (H)
- 750 g/27 oz
- Dimensions/weight (shipping):
- 315 mm (W) x 265 mm (D) x 100 mm (H), 12.4” (W) x 10.4” (D) x 3.9” (H)
- 1,250 g/44 oz
- Temperature: 0° C to +50° C (+32° F to +122° F)
- Humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
- Storage and transportation temperature range:
- Temperature: -40° C to +70° C (-40° F to +158° F)
- FCC/Industry of Canada
- CE Marked
- R&TTE Directive 1995/5/EC
- Low Voltage Directive 72/23/EEC
- EN 300 328
- EN 301 489
- EN 301 893
- UL/IEC/EN 60950
- EN 60601-1-1, EN60601-1-2
Regulatory Model Numbers
AP-224 and IAP-224: APIN0224
AP-225 and IAP-225: APIN0225
- CB Scheme Safety, cTUVus
- Wi-Fi Alliance-certified 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
Limited lifetime warranty
Minimum Software Versions
- ArubaOS™ 18.104.22.168
- Aruba Instant 22.214.171.124*
*Available Q4 2013.